B Psych (Hons), MA (Marriage & Family Therapy).
With his particular expertise in helping families and married couples, he enjoys helping people to sort through the issues and dysfunctional patterns that prevent them from enjoying their relationships. Matt is highly skilled at providing therapy and counselling for (but not limited to):
- families with problem children/teenagers;
- parents stuck in power struggles with their offspring;
- families experiencing domestic violence;
- “failure to launch” – ie families where adult children remain dependent on their parents for a variety of reasons.
Matt believes that the vast majority of troubled marriages and families can be assisted to regain the openness, joy and flow that are the hallmarks of healthy relationships. He understands that what keeps most people in marriages and families “stuck” is their great difficulty in seeing their own participation in the problems that plague them. Most people tend to blame each other for their unhappiness, which is only natural, but it is this tendency of blame and counter-blame that often causes the relationship to get bogged down.
As a marriage and family psychologist, Matthew’s role is to help each person in the relationship see how they contribute to their dysfunctional ways of relating, and what changes are necessary to resolve their difficulties.
Matt is experienced in working with teenage males as they face the challenges of stepping into young manhood, with his own two sons (now in their twenties) as well as creating and running programs for young men in indigenous communities.
He has a strong background in working with men of all ages struggling with Depression, Anxiety, Stress and Workplace issues, and has found that utilising a combination of Mindfulness and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, is particularly beneficial for his clients. This may include training in using meditation to advantage in everyday life.
In addition, Matt is experienced in providing counselling to clients from the Transgender and also Indigenous communities.
During his spare time Matt enjoys surfing, kayaking and cycling.
Please call 1800 877 924 or book Matt Ryan online today!Book Online
Articles of Interest by Psychologist Matthew Ryan
- 5 Love Drains
- A Life Changing Encounter with the Divine
- Can you be “Just Friends” with the Opposite Sex?
- Characteristics of a Conscious Marriage
- Couples Therapy: What to expect at your first session
- Dysfunctional Fathering Styles
- Family Therapy
- Fathering Adolescent Boys
- How to Raise an Issue with Your Partner – without leading to an argument!
- Living with PTSD
- Love and Disillusionment
- Men: the Conspiracy of Silence
- Mindfulness in Therapy
- Negotiating the Male Midlife Crisis
- Parenting Made Simple
- Recovering from an Affair
- Re-Enchantment of Everyday Life
- The Challenges of Boys Leaving Home
- The Continuing Impact of Childhood Wounds
- The Serenity Prayer in Action
- Therapy for Adult Children and their Parents
- Transgender Therapy
- Trapped in a Pursuer-Distancer Pattern?
- Wake up to Life!