People from all different walks, ages and stages of life have sexual problems, worries or concerns. Your sexuality is such an important part of who you are and has a profound effect on your overall happiness, health and well –being. Being comfortable with who you are as a sexual being and being able to express that safely and freely can enlighten you.
Sexuality plays an important part in being at ease with the intimacy in a relationship, which plays an integral part of being able to be close to your partner and to create a lasting bond. Relationship issues and sexual issues are closely intertwined in that sexual problems cause relationship issues and relationship issues can cause sexual issues.
What a sex therapy can offer you?
A qualified sex therapist is someone who has many years counselling experience and has then attended further training in the area of sex therapy. A sex therapist is someone that can listen to your concerns or worries in a non judgemental, strictly confidential environment where you will be treated with sensitivity, care and professionalism. A client can speak with a sex therapist individually or with a partner, spouse or friend. After the initial anxiety of meeting with a sex therapist, many find tremendous relief and reward.
Why do people seek out the help of a sex therapist?
Some common topics discussed in therapy include…..
- What holds you back from fully enjoying , expressing and exploring a fulfilling sex life?
- Sex is an integral part of life throughout our ever changing lives but how our sexuality is identified, formed and how does that impact our attitudes, beliefs and actions in this area of life?
- Do you struggle with your body changes, images and hormonal changes and how does this effect your sex life? Have you lost confidence following a divorce, separation or an illness?
- Are you unsure of your sexual origination and what that means for your life?
- Are you wanting to explore and deal with sexual inhibitions?
- Are you a teenager who is curious about this part of life and want straight answers?
- Are you a parent who is concerned about how your child or teenager is expressing themselves sexually?
- Are you suffering from any kind of sexual dysfunction for both male and female?
- Are you a couple that is wanting to increase sexual intimacy, or to increase their communication about sex?
- Are you concerned that your partner is watching internet porn and what does this mean for your relationship?
- Are you worried that you have a sex addict or a fetish that is holding you back? Is sex a sore point in your relationship, has it become the source of emotional or physical discomfort rather than pleasure. This often taboo subject can be an emotional minefield for many people. Talking to a qualified sex therapist can help.
Author: Linda Thomson, B Arts, Social Science, Human Services, Masters of Counselling, Master Social Work Studies, Social Work, Member – AASW.
Linda Thomson has many years of experience in different fields of counselling, and has also managed counselling services in the Not for profit sector. She has been involved in training and mentoring counsellors, and providing professional supervision. Linda has extensive training in and a passion for sex therapy as she believes that it is such an important and often misunderstood part of our lives.
Please call 1800 877 924 or book online to make a confidential appointment with Linda.