It is common, when you are suffering and feeling overwhelmed, to wonder: Do I need therapy or counselling?
Experts say that sometimes people do not know how to stop suffering.
This is really sad, especially when the experts also estimate that more than 95% of the time, suffering is needless! Why go through more pain than you have to?
10 Signs That You May Need Therapy or Counselling
Below are some of the symptoms that might indicate a need to seek out therapy or counselling:
- You feel you have no control over your daily activities. Your attention, memory, sleep routine and appetite have been altered.
- You start to somatise – this means, you are suffering from physical pain or symptoms such as headaches, backache, hair loss, nausea, and more. It can cause anxiety attacks (chest tightness, rapid heartbeat, hyperventilation or very shallow and rapid breathing and sweating).
- Having no control over your emotions (tearfulness, anger, anxiety, sadness, despair, feelings of helplessness and hopelessness).
- Being in a difficult situation that you cannot solve, or do not have the strength to face (problems with your partner, children or work).
- Feeling overpowered by your emotions and unable to analyse things objectively or act rationally.
- You are full of negatives, catastrophic thoughts, obsessions or fixations that prevent you from living life normally.
- Feeling that hope is over and there is no point in living.
- Feeling an aggressiveness that you cannot control and that can trigger extreme situations.
- Thinking everyone is against you.
- Having difficulty resting, sleeping, concentrating, to the point where it is impacting your daily life.
In conclusion, there is no need to suffer extreme situations. Whenever you feel you need help because you are struggling to cope with life, then it is advisable to seek out therapy or counselling. There is always help at hand!
Author: Janet Moreno, B Sc Psych (Hons), Grad Dip AOD, M HRM, Associate Member ASORC.
Janet Moreno is a psychotherapist and rehabilitation counsellor with over 11 years of experience. She is fluent in both English and Spanish, and sees children, adults and couples. Find out more at her website: www.colibritherapy.com.au.
To make an enquiry or book an appointment with psychotherapist Janet Moreno, freecall 1800 877 924 today or book online.