B Beh Sc (Psych – 1st Class Hons).
Trudy Sheffield is a relatable psychologist who works with people to find solutions to life disturbances in order to find “balance” or happiness. She has nearly twenty years of experience working in psychological practice, training and people management, in both public and private sectors. She has experience working with adolescents and adults from a broad range of backgrounds.
Trudy’s therapeutic orientation is largely cognitive behavioural but she has training in an extensive range of assessments and therapies including:
- Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy;
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy;
- Solution Focused Therapy ;
- Schema Therapy;
- Cognitive Self Change – core belief work;
- Transactional analysis;
- Addictions counselling;
- Domestic Violence (Duluth) intervention;
- Violence intervention – family and general;
- Resilience skills (program accredited – children and adults);
- Mindfulness and self management;
- Managing Personality disorders – personal and workplace strategies;
- Workplace Trainer & Assessor (Cert IV);
- Group facilitation / Managing group dynamics;
- Static 99R and STABLE 2007 trainer and assessor – international accreditation;
- Violence Risk Scale (VRS);
- Change facilitation;
- Coaching and personal change.
Trudy is grateful to have developed individual and group intervention skills working with a number of key international program developers and experts in areas such as addictions, sexual offending, personality disorder management, schemas, violence prevention, and group facilitation.
It is understandable that some people are hesitant or nervous to present to a psychologist. Trudy will take the time to understand you, and design an intervention plan specific to your needs drawing from her range of therapeutic expertise.
She has extensive experience working with clients who present with multiple, complex needs, assisting them to make realistic, positive changes that are sustainable. Trudy believes, “People can learn a lot in therapy but also need to leave understanding how to manage themselves”.
Trudy is able to provide support and development in many areas including:
- Depression, and other mood disorders;
- Anxiety disorders;
- Substance abuse or other addictions;
- Distress tolerance and resilience building;
- Self esteem and confidence;
- Emotional management (eg anger management);
- Stress and burnout;
- Grief and Loss;
- Sexual abuse / trauma;
- Offending behaviour;
- Violent behaviour and aggression;
- Domestic violence (men);
- Family mediation;
- Effective communication;
- Managing difficult personalities;
- Motivational enhancement and goal setting;
- Lifestyle coaching;
- Gay and lesbian counselling; and
- General counselling – including problem behaviours affecting workplace performance and attendance.
Life is not always ideal. At times we can all feel worn out, sad, anxious, stuck, alone and scared. Trudy wants people to know that …”help is available and others do understand”.
Trudy is a Brisbane local and is married with young children. She has maneuvered her way through many of life’s challenges including significant family health issues, loss and surviving unexpected changes!
She loves working with people and looks forward to meeting you.
Training and Development
Trudy Sheffield is recognised as an expert trainer and group facilitator who can meet with you to identify training needs and develop professional workshops for your group or agency. Feel free to contact Trudy via the Contact Form (type “Trudy Sheffield” in the subject field) or on the number below, to organise training or group work.
To make an appointment with psychologist Trudy Sheffield, freecall 1800 877 924 or book online today!
Articles of Interest by Trudy Sheffield:
- Are You an Employee in a Toxic Workplace?
- Coping Skills and Mental Health
- Domestic Violence in Same Sex Relationships
- Help for Troubled Teens
- Help for Violence and Aggressive Behaviour
- Improving Self-Esteem and Self-Image
- Pre Sentence Intervention and Reporting
- Sexual Offender Assessment and Intervention
- Suffering from Emotional Exhaustion?
- Vicarious Trauma and Self Care for Professionals
- Victims of Crime: Breaking the Cycle
- What is Gaslighting?