Leonie is not currently taking on any new clients.
BSocWk, Grad Dip (Counselling), AMHSW, JP Qual, RN.
I am an Accredited Mental Health Social Worker, with a wealth of experience, having worked in government and non-government settings. I provide professional, focused support to empower individuals, families, groups and communities to enhance their individual and collective well-being. I am particularly interested in the following areas:
- Child and Family Counselling relating to Separation and Custody
- Indigenous and First Nations Social Work and Counselling
- ASD/ADHD in Children and Adults
- Domestic Violence Counselling
- Children with High Needs
I have not always been a Social Worker. I began my career as a Registered Nurse, then moved into the Hospitality Sector and from there into Social Work and Counselling. I spent some time creating policy and writing political speeches at Federal Government level and was rewarded with the opportunity to work at the G20 Summit in 2014 under Prime Minister Tony Abbott. I then moved into the Indigenous Affairs Portfolio (still with Federal Government) working with Indigenous Advancement Strategy before moving to Queensland Government to work with the Department of Child Safety and working on-country in remote Indigenous communities in Far North Queensland.
To make an appointment with Leonie Vela please choose Online Booking or call Vision Psychology Brisbane on (07) 3088 5422, or M1 Psychology Loganholme on (07) 3067 9129.
On completing my time in this field, the National Disability Insurance Scheme had just started, and I found a home as an NDIS Rural and Remote Local Area Coordinator in the Western Downs region. Utilising my knowledge in disability and matters relating to mental health I got to work building a strong network of service providers and then started my own private practice servicing regional, rural and remote Queensland from Brisbane to Cunnamulla.
I am dedicated to assisting in empowering people with disabilities, and those living with mental health issues, along with their families and carers to live their best lives. I have a deep enthusiasm for working with children and adults with ASD and ADHD and utilise different types of play therapy in these areas. I also do quite a bit of work with children and families involved in the many and varied stages of child custody issues – whether that be through the Department of Child Safety, Family Court or other means. I also have experience in Employment Assistance (EAP) Programs, Couples Counselling, Change Management in the Workplace, and Indigenous and First Nations Peoples. I am a staunch advocate for NDIS Participants as well as being a qualified and experienced NDIS Support Coordinator.
As a Social Worker I use several different therapies, which I personalise to the needs of the client including:
- Play Therapy
- Narrative Therapy
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Attachment-based Therapy
Full list of other services provided:
- Abuse Counselling
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Addictions Counselling and Support
- Behaviour Management
- Coping with Disability
- Couples Therapy
- Crises Management
- Custody Issues
- Dementia Support and Counselling
- Support with Managing Depression
- Development Disorders
- Emotional Abuse
- Employee Assistance Program (Counselling Etc.)
- Family Therapy
- General Counselling
- Geriatric Support and Counselling (Aged Care)
- Grief and Loss Counselling
- Medico-Legal Services
- Support and Assistance with Memory Problems
- Parent/Caregiver Training
- Parenting Support
- Pastoral Care
- Rehabilitation Support and Counselling
- Relationships Counselling and Support
- Professional Supervision (Social Workers)
- Support and Counselling for Women’s Issues
Bachelor Social Work, Graduate Diploma Counselling, Certificate IV Training and Assessment, Certificate III Early Childhood Studies, Diploma Business Management, Certificate IV Workplace Assessment and Training, Certificate IV Language, Literacy and Numeracy Assessment and Training, Certificate III Early Childhood, Level 1 Intensive Indigenous Narrative Therapist, Certificate in Play Therapy, Certificate in Mindfulness-Integrated Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
- Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW)
- Australian Counselling Association (ACA)
- Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Indigenous Allied Health Australia (IAHA)
- Oncology Social Work Australia and New Zealand (OSWANZ)
To make an appointment with Leonie Vela select Online Booking. Alternatively, you can call Vision Psychology Wishart on (07) 3088 5422 or M1 Psychology Loganholme on (07) 3067 9129.