BAdVocEd; GradCert Sp Ed;
MSocWk(ProfQual); MHumServ (Rehab Counsel);
GDipCouns; GCert MentalHlthPrac;
Member AASW, AMHSW
To make an appointment with Maree Stevens go to Online Booking or call Vision Psychology Brisbane on (07) 3088 5422.
Maree is a Mental Health Accredited Social Worker with over 20 years’ experience working with vulnerable groups of people in the human services, health and education sectors within government, at a federal and state level as well as in the private and not for profit sector.
Passionate about education, Maree focuses on empowering people of all abilities through a strengths-based approach. She embraces the concept that learning is lifelong. Her aims are to support the needs of the individual client, believing that they are the expert in their own lives.
Is it me or is it my relationship?
- Do you feel like you need to talk to someone about your relationship?
- Are you always second-guessing yourself?
- Do you wonder if you are too sensitive?
- You don’t trust your own judgement and decisions anymore.
- You find yourself constantly apologising.
- You always make excuses for your partner’s behaviour.
- You don’t feel like you can do anything right?
Have you heard of the term gaslighting?
You could be a victim …
Working with females, males and children affected by family and domestic violence is Maree’s strength. She understands the difficult and complex nature of domestic violence and the lasting effects it can have on everyone. Maree is non-judgemental and compassionate and is available for consultations and counselling at any stage of your relationship.
Her wide range of practice areas and therapies include:
- Trauma and mental health impacts on education;
- Depression and other mood disorders;
- Anxiety disorder;
- Personality disorder;
- Suicidal thoughts;
- Self harm;
- Relationship problems;
- Workplace issues;
- Change management
- Adjustment issues;
- Grief and loss; and
- Trauma including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Therapies and Techniques
Some of the therapies and techniques which Maree incorporates into therapy include:
- Trauma-Informed Practice;
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT);
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT);
- Solution-focused Therapy;
- Mindfulness and relaxation strategies such as visualisation and breathing techniques;
- Narrative Therapy;
- Psychoeducation; and skills training such as:
- Domestic Violence
- Working with children who self-harm
- Stress management
- Anger management
- Social Skills
- Anxiety management
- Parent management.
Maree has recently completed training in Perinatal Non-Directive Counselling with the Australian Psychological Society and is eligible to provide this counselling under Medicare.
In addition, Maree has written articles and delivered presentations to the Queensland College of Adult Literacy regarding Trauma-Informed Practice in the Adult Learner’s classroom; practical strategies to help adults learn; and Mindfulness and Mindfulness Activities for the classroom.
To make an appointment for Face to Face or Telehealth Counselling, please go to Online Booking or call Vision Psychology Brisbane on (07) 3088 5422.
Articles of Interest by Maree Stevens:
- Adverse Child Experiences – Impact from Birth to Adulthood
- Anxiety in Children and Young People
- Building Health Self Esteem in Teens
- Children and Coercive Control
- Coping Strategies for Imposter Syndrome
- COVID-19 and Domestic Violence
- Cumulative Harm
- Developing Emotional Literacy in Children
- Domestic Violence Facts and Myths for Men
- Domestic Violence Facts for Women
- Dreaming of a Good Night’s Sleep?!
- Hear no Evil, See no Evil, Common Myths about Domestic Violence – Children and Family
- Mental Health Support for Small Business Owners
- Mindfulness Activities for the Classroom
- Myths about Eating Disorders
- Ready or not, here comes Emotional Regulation
- School Refusal
- Stress, Anxiety and Depression on Academic Performance
- Supervision in Action
- Technology Facilitated Domestic Violence
- The Impacts of Trauma on Children and Young People
- Trauma Informed Practice for Adult Learners
- What is ACE or Adverse Child Experiences?
- What is Sensory Modulation?