M App Psych (Counselling), B Sc (Hons), M Couns, MAPS
I am an Australian-trained counselling psychologist with a passion and experience in supporting adults and young people struggling with a wide range of mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety disorders. I offer psychotherapy services in English and Japanese.
Besides working a clinician at private practice, public health care system, and schools, I was a lecturer and researcher at international universities. I am almost completing my PhD at the Faculty of Medicine, the University of Queensland. I have published over 15 books and research articles in mental health. These varied experiences developed my expertise and insight into the realm of mental health.
I adopt client-centred approach with a strong focus on creating a safe, non-judgemental environment where you can openly discuss your concerns.
I help to build up internal resources and resilience of people for coping with difficult situations and provide evidence-based intervention, such as cognitive behavioural therapy, mindfulness, and lifestyle interventions, tailored to your unique needs, preferences, and circumstances.
Improving Mental Health and Wellbeing of Adults and Young People
I support adults and young people struggling with a wide range of issues:
- Anxiety (e.g., Trauma, phobia, social anxiety, agoraphobia, obsessive compulsive disorder, PTSD, generalized anxiety)
- Stress management (academic and workplace distress)
- Anger management
- Motivation and confidence
- Addiction (alcohol and drug)
- Bipolar disorder
- Suicide and self-harm prevention
- Grief and loss
- Adjustment to a new environment
Improving mental health of people with diverse backgrounds
I have a passion for supporting the mental health of people with diverse backgrounds, including, but not limited to, LGBTQ+, migrants, refugees, international students, and people with different religious and spiritual backgrounds. I am respectful of differences and preferences of people.
I use the following evidence-based therapeutic techniques depending on the needs of my clients
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Relaxation and breathing techniques;
- Solution-focused Therapy
- Compassion-focused Therapy
- Neuroscience education
- Stress management
- Lifestyle intervention (improvement in sleep, diet, hydration, physical activity, fun activity)
I was born and raised in Japan. I completed all my higher education in Australia and lived and worked in Brisbane for 20+ years. I have a passion for supporting adults and young people with all different backgrounds because life can be challenging for anyone.
To make an appointment try Online Booking. Alternatively, you can call Vision Psychology Brisbane on (07) 3088 5422.
Articles of Interest by Brisbane Psychologist Yu Takizawa:
- All About Anxiety
- Clinical Depression
- Cultural Challenges facing Asians in Australia
- Dealing with Traumatic Memories
- Help for Borderline Personality Disorder
- LGBT Mental Health
- Misconceptions about Mental Health, Counselling and Psychologists
- Overcoming Culture Shock
- Sleep Better Without Medication
- Sleeping Problems and Mental Health
- Strategies for Overcoming Anxiety
- Understanding Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Information in Japanese for clients.