B Sc (Hons), M Psych (Sport and Exercise).
With over 12 years’ experience working with individuals and businesses in corporate settings, as well as 10+ years experience in sales, Helen D’Silva is a Brisbane-based psychologist who understands firsthand the workplace related stress that comes with needing to consistently perform at high levels, lead a successful team and be able to manage a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
Helen enjoys working with individuals experiencing any one of, or a combination of the following:
- Stress, anxiety and depression;
- Grief, loss and trauma resulting from significant events and life transitions;
- Relationship challenges;
- Burnout resulting from high pressure in demanding business or professional roles;
- Confusion and loss of purpose and focus relating to employment, career and businessl
Over her years of experience, Helen has found that helping individuals to gain an objective, in-depth understanding of their challenges and blockages, using evidence-based Mindfulness, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy frameworks, equips them to develop strategies that foster long-term, positive change in the forms of:
- Increased energy levels, feeling of general health and well-being;
- Learning how to set individual, achievable steps that motivate the individual to move further toward his/her own goals;
- Improved quality of sleep and restfulness;
- Reduced anxiety and stress;
- Increased concentration and ability to sustain focus;
- Becoming a much more effective and influential communicator;
- Reducing symptoms of depression;
- Higher levels of productivity with reduced effort;
- Better work-lifestyle balance;
- Clearer direction or purpose, and greater satisfaction in employment, career or business.
Sport, Exercise and Fitness
Having made sport an integral part of her life since the age of 8 (field hockey, netball, equestrian, badminton), Helen knows only too well the importance of maintaining prime physical health and fitness.
With Sport and Exercise as her psychology specialisation, she has worked with elite athletes at the state and territory sporting institutes across Australia (including talent squad, triathlon and men’s water polo) to educate athletes and improve their performance in training and competition.
Because of the proven benefits sport and exercise have shown to have on improving mental health and wellbeing, Helen is a strong advocate of physical activity being a component of her clients’ strategies to obtain a healthier body and mind.
With her specialty being mental health and fitness, she is proactive in connecting with a variety of health practitioners (naturopaths, osteopaths, psychiatrists, dieticians, acupuncturists, general practitioners, personal trainers). Helen’s clients therefore also benefit from being able to access additional resources that support them to achieve their goals in line with their individual philosophies on improving and maintaining their health and wellbeing.
Business and Organisational Psychology, Executive Coaching
Having worked within and alongside businesses across Australia, some of Helen’s most enjoyable work has included educating and coaching CEOs, managing directors and senior leaders to implement high performance strategies to increase motivation, productivity, loyalty and overall effectiveness of their staff.
As a consulting psychologist and HR Manager/Consultant, Helen has worked within teams to put into place human resources and people management strategies which has freed up more time, saved money and relieved stress, allowing these businesses to focus on and enjoy better productivity, results and ultimately, greater profit.
Some of her skills applicable to most work settings to achieve high performance include:
- psychometric testing for recruitment and performance management;
- interview techniques using emotional intelligence.
Having worked with such clients as Countrywide (national food service conglomerate), Myer (retail), Bennett & Bennett (surveyors), Pendragon and the Accountable Group (IT), Helen particularly loves working with senior leaders, business owners and CEOs. She works with senior leaders and business owners individually, with their unique challenges such as finding it “lonely at the top”.
Working with Helen
A skilled facilitator and qualified trainer, Helen enjoys being able to help her clients achieve their goals in a number of ways:
- One on one coaching therapy sessions – Helen looks to empower her clients to eventually self-manage and monitor their progress, through educating and equipping them with practical tools and strategies they can use in multiple areas of their lives.
- Facilitated Workshops, Seminars and Keynote Speaking – Facilitated workshops (standard or tailored workshops), seminars and keynote speaking are one of Helen’s main passions. Her relaxed and engaging presentation and training style leaves clients more capable of achieving long-term, positive change in all areas of life. See the table below for some of the topics Helen particularly enjoys presenting and facilitating.
(The following abbreviations indicate the audience types each workshop topic is tailored for: SE = Sport and Exercise; MLW = Managers & Leaders in the Workplace; I = Individuals)
- Phone/Skype counselling – Don’t be limited by geography! If it’s important for you to gain support in your own environment, Helen is available for phone and Skype sessions. If a time slot is not available in the calendar that suits you, you can contact Helen to arrange a time that does.
Freecall 1800 877 924 or book Brisbane Psychologist Helen D’Silva online today!Book Online